Quarter Life Crisis

01:55 Cyndi 0 Comments

Common symptoms of a quarter life crisis are often feelings of being "lost, scared, lonely or confused" about what steps to take in order to transition properly into adulthood. Studies have shown that unemployment and choosing a career path is a major cause for young persons to undergo stress or anxiety. Early stages of one living on their own for the first time and learning to cope without parental help can also induce feelings of isolation and loneliness. Re-evaluation of one's close personal relationships can also be a factor, with sufferers feeling they have outgrown their partner or believing others may be more suitable for them.
Am I perhaps going through a quarter life crisis right now? I'd consider myself pretty lucky in the fact that I found a job pretty quickly after graduating high school and was working while my friends were still looking for jobs. However, now that I've been unemployed for a bit and living off savings, on the verge of graduating with a bachelor's degree, and labelled a millennial with no prospect of owning a house anytime soon - I feel completely and utter 'lost, scared, lonely AND confused.'

What the fuck do I do now?

I feel like being away from home and taking up the Disney International Program had some negatives but I feel like it prepped me up big time in being able to answer questions such as 'Will I be able to survive living by myself/paying rent/cooking for myself/doing laundry?' The answer is yes. I survived and I experienced firsthand what it felt like having roommates, working full-time hours, coming back home from work and having to cook for yourself and budgeting so that you would have enough money to pay for rent - all without the help of my family who were on the other side of the globe and offered no extra financial support apart while I was in Orlando. I did it and I overcame the loneliness.

As of right now, my major life crisis springs its focus on my career prospects and the fogginess of the future regarding how I'm going to spend the rest of my adulthood years. Unemployment and career paths definitely do give me a lot of stress and unnecessary anxiety when all I want to do in life is aim to be happy but I've soon realised that I can't even be happy without the basic, necessary funds to feel comfortable. I can't be happy when I keep comparing myself to my close peers who seem like they all know what the future holds for them but I'm kept back from achieving anything significant and still my future is seemingly covered by a heavy cloud.

I think the first step would be to plan everything out but I've always been more of a go with the flow kind of person and it's exciting to see where this has taken my life. I think my best abilities as of now is being able to express myself, write with passion and being able to persuade people. I hope I can persuade recruiters and potential network of people my ability to be able to get the work required of me to above their standards. Just like how all amazing marketing should be - exceeding people's expectations. I hope I can do that because I love to set people's expectations of me so low that that I end up exceeding people's expectations.

0 notes :